This week I had a great question from a Daily Biz Planner reader. She is working a full-time job and growing her business at night and on the weekends. Her question was this:
“Do you have ideas on how I can grow my newsletter subscribers?”
First, I want to say YAY! This is an awesome question and here is why… your email list is vital to the success of your business. Even today!
For those of you who are new to the entrepreneurial world, a list is a group of people who have shown interest in your business and have shared their email address with you, typically in exchange for something of value. For example, a checklist, printable, report or coupon.
So, before I share some tips on how to grow your list, I thought I would share the basics of what you should have in place before you start. Here is a quick list of things to get in place:
- Set-up an email mailing list – www.mailchimp.com or www.aweber.com are both great services and are ideal when you’re first starting out. I believe mail chimp is free up to 2000 people. Free is good!
- Create a valuable opt-in offer – this is something valuable that your ideal client would love to get and be willing to provide their email address to receive.
- Add your opt-in to your website – this makes it easy for your ideal clients to subscribe to your list.
Now that you have the basics set-up, here are 13 ways to build your list in the next 30 days:
- Make your opt-in obvious on your website. This seems obvious, but too often I see a opt-in at the bottom of a page, or not easily found on the website.
- Add your opt-in offer to your email signature.
- Share your compelling free offer on social media. Don’t be shy and remember to share your valuable offer with a link to where they can sign-up on a regular basis.
- Do a free webinar or teleseminar.
- Have a sign-up sheet or collect business cards (make sure to ask if it’s ok to add them) when you go to networking groups.
- Give a free talk for an organization and offer to send them your free offer if they opt-in at the event with their email.
- Set-up a landing page that is specific to your compelling offer that you can use to drive traffic to.
- Get interviewed on websites, podcasts, etc. Get out there and get known!
- Write guest blog posts on other relevant blogs and invite blog readers to sign-up for your opt-in offer.
- Interview other high profile people your target market wants to hear from.
- Organize and participate in community service projects. Getting known in your local community can be a tremendous business builder and feels soul good too!
- Add an opt-in box at the bottom of your blog post or articles on your website and ask them to join your mailing list. Want to take it to the next level? Provide opt-in’s that are specific to your posts.
- Get involved online… comment on other blog posts, participate in online communities, etc.
Now I would love to hear from you! What are some ways you have found to be successful to grow your list? Leave a comment below… can’t wait to hear your tips!